2008.11.12 > For Immediate Release
contact: Wendy Townley - University Relations
phone: 402.554.2762 - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall BFA Thesis Exhibition at UNO Art Gallery Through Dec. 12
Omaha - The work of five University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) thesis candidates will be on display in the UNO Art Gallery, inside the Weber Fine Arts Building, from Nov. 14 through Dec. 12. An opening reception for the exhibition will be held Friday, Nov. 14 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
This fall’s thesis exhibition features the work of Shaun Benak, Jason Heida, Richard Murcek, Joe Pankowski and Josh Powell.
• Shaun Benak uses video installations to create digital documentaries of his experiences. His videos immerse the viewer in his perspective of emotional and spiritual moments all can relate to but often cannot place. 3D glasses will be provided for the experience.
• Jason Heida experiments with powerful imagery and narratives. He shows digital images using the unique visual language of the comic book to depict recognizable images from Biblical stories.
• Richard Murcek works with wood and wood burning to create a sculptural system that asks the viewer to look at the piece as both parts of a whole and a complete system.
• Joe Pankowski uses characters and hand built props based on his linear drawings to develop a narrative for his films. The results are dreamlike videos that seem to come straight from Pankowski’s subconscious.
• Josh Powell’s work is compiled with paints, markers, imagery from popular culture, adhesives, found objects and other mixed media. He creates images that appeal to our collective awareness of histories and events that affect our feelings about contemporary society.
Each BFA candidate is also required to present his thesis in a public lecture to articulate his work. The lectures will be held Dec. 8 and 10 at noon in the UNO Art Gallery.
The UNO Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Weber Fine Arts Building. The exhibition and lectures are free and open to the public. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Friday from noon to 4 p.m., with additional hours on Thursday (4 to 8 p.m.) when classes are in session. The gallery will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday, Wednesday, Nov. 26 through Friday, Nov. 28.
For more information, call (402) 554-2420.
UNO will celebrate its 100th anniversary beginning October 8, 2008. This celebration will recognize the partnership among the City of Omaha, its citizens and UNO to build a vibrant and dynamic community. The centennial theme is “UNO: Central To Our City Since 1908.” This theme acknowledges the past contributions of UNO to the community and sets the stage for great things to come.
UNO, inaugurated in 1968, emerged from the Municipal University of Omaha, established in 1931, which grew out of the University of Omaha founded in 1908. For Centennial information, go to http://www.unomaha.edu/100/.
© 2013 University Communications. voice: 402.554.2129, fax: 402.554.3541, email@example.com