2007.01.01 > For Immediate Release
contact: Tim Kaldahl - University Relations
phone: 402.554.3502 - email: email@example.com
UNO Aviation Institute Flight Teams Soars at Regionals
Omaha - The University of Nebraska at Omaha Aviation Institute Flying Mavericks Flight Team, sponsored by Jet Linx Aviation and TAC Air, recently took home a first place in school flight events at the 2007 Region VI SAFECON Competition and qualified for the National SAFECON Competition in Spring 2008.
The competition took place near St. Louis, Mo., last month.
The team also earned a fifth place overall school ranking. Competitors came from around the region and included the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University, Kansas State University.
UNO students Sean Cappel and William Swett serve as team co-captains. Other team members are Mike Munch, Eric Olson, Zach Ossino, Justin Schultz, James Slabaugh, Stephen White and Akin Yonamine. Bob Moser coaches the Flying Mavericks; Scott Vlasek is the group’s faculty advisor.
“The competition is divided into both ground and flying events that highlight different aspects of aviation,” Vlasek said. “Our team takes competition very seriously, and I’m proud of our results.”
Additional top 20 place honors for UNO:
* Top pilot award -- 7th Munch and 8th Swett;
* Top scoring mail male contestant -- 6th Munch, 12th Slaubaugh, and Cappel and Swett tied for 17th;
* Navigation ranking – 4th to pilot Mike Munch and observer Eric Olson;
* Short field approach and landing ranking – 3rd Swett; 6th Slabaugh; 12th Schultz and 14th Cappel;
* Computer accuracy – 6th Munch, 12th Yonamine and 16th Slabaugh; * Ground trainer – 13th Cappel; and
* Aircraft preflight inspection – 7th Cappel, 12th White and 15th Slabaugh.
For more information please contact Scott Vlasek at (402) 554-3424
© 2015 University Communications. voice: 402.554.2129, fax: 402.554.3541, firstname.lastname@example.org