2007.10.19 > For Immediate Release
contact: Beverly Newsam - University Relations
phone: 402.554.2129 - e-mail: email@example.com
Ukrainian Rector to Visit Omaha Oct. 27-31
Omaha - The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) will host Yuriy G. Lega, rector of Cherkasy State Technological University (CSTU) in Cherkasy, Ukraine, when he visits the United States this month. Lega will be in Omaha Saturday through Wednesday, Oct. 27-31, to tour several facilities and seek partnerships between CSTU and the UNO College of Business Administration and College of Information Science and Technology.
Lega studied at O.S. Popov's Electrotechnical Institute of Communications and graduated with honors and radio-communication engineer qualifications. In 1998, he was elected rector of Cherkasy Engineering and Technology Institute. He was re-elected rector of the recently accredited CSTU in 2003. Head of the Cherkasy Region Rectors Board, he also serves as deputy of Cherkasy Regional Parliament.
The recipient of many awards, Lega received a diploma and medal from the Ukrainian Parliament for building active participation in local governance, the Order of Saint George and Saint Lord Volodymyr Order of the Fourth Degree for contributions toward building the nation, a Gold Medal for merits in education and a national award as an Honorable Officer of Ukrainian Education.
Hryhoriy Zaspa, a professor from CSTU, will travel with and interpret for Lega during his travels. This is Zaspa's third trip to UNO. He previously visited Nebraska in 2002 and the UNO campus last fall.
The itinerary for Lega's U.S. trip is listed below.
Wednesday, Oct. 24
- Arrive in United States
Sunday, Oct. 28
- Attend morning service at Assumption Ukrainian Catholic Church (1513 Martha St.) and tour Omaha
Monday, Oct. 29
- Morning: UNO campus tour
- Noon: Attend UNO International Studies welcome luncheon in the Milo Bail Student Center Omaha Room
- Afternoon: Visit local high school (TBD)
Tuesday, Oct. 30
- Afternoon: Meet with Lou Pol, dean of the UNO College of Business Administration, and visit Joslyn Museum (2200 Dodge St.)
Wednesday, Oct. 31
- Morning: Tour Werner Trucking (4507 Frontier Rd.)
- Noon: Attend Omaha Downtown Rotary Club with UNO Chancellor John Christensen and Thomas Gouttierre, dean of International Studies and Programs at UNO
- Afternoon: Meet with Hesham Ali, dean of the UNO College of Information Science and Technology (IS&T) and IS&T faculty
- Evening: Dinner with Omahans of Ukrainian ancestry
Thursday, Nov. 1
- Fly to Chicago
Saturday, Nov. 3
- Fly home to Ukraine
For more information, call James Dick, professor of teacher education at UNO, at (402) 554-3464.
Note to reporters: Interviews with Lega are encouraged for Monday, Oct. 29, at the welcome luncheon in the Milo Bail Student Center. Additional interview opportunities can be arranged by contacting Dick at (402) 554-3464.
© 2013 University Communications. voice: 402.554.2129, fax: 402.554.3541, firstname.lastname@example.org