2006.12.06 > For Immediate Release
contact: Tim Kaldahl - University Affairs
phone: 402.554.3502 - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NU Begins Search for Chancellor of the University of Nebraska at Omaha
Lincoln – University of Nebraska President James B. Milliken has named a committee of university and community representatives to seek candidates for the position of Chancellor of the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO). The group will be chaired by Shelton Hendricks, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at UNO.
"This is a wonderful opportunity for the University of Nebraska at Omaha. This is a time of remarkable innovation and progress that has created a tremendously positive momentum for the campus," Milliken said. "We are committed to selecting a talented, vibrant leader who recognizes UNO as a place rich in potential and who sees the possibilities the campus offers Omaha and Nebraska."
Milliken pointed to the significant transformation UNO has experienced in the past decade, including strengthened academic programs, innovative relationships with Nebraska businesses through the Peter Kiewit Institute and other initiatives, development of campus housing, unique international experiences and very successful outreach and engagement efforts.
"We are dedicated to UNO becoming a national leader among metropolitan universities," Milliken said.
John Christensen was named to serve as interim chancellor at UNO in September following the resignation of Nancy Belck. The Chancellor at UNO is the chief administrative officer of the campus, charged with the responsibility for planning, directing and coordinating all activities relating to the educational mission of the campus.
Milliken's goal is to have a permanent chancellor in place at UNO for the beginning of the 2007-2008 academic year. The search committee will be asked to propose a list of finalists to Milliken by next spring. The president's appointment of a new chancellor is subject to approval by the Board of Regents.
Members of the search committee are:
· Shelton Hendricks, dean of the UNO College of Arts and Sciences;
· Latavia Adams, undergraduate student from Omaha, senior broadcasting major, and legislative and public relations officer for UNO Student Government;
· Theresa Barron-McKeagney, associate professor and director of the UNO School of Social Work;
· Loree Bykerk, professor and chairperson of UNO Department of Political Science;
· W. Gary Gates, Omaha Public Power District president and chief executive officer;
· Lynn Harland, professor of marketing/management and associate dean of the UNO College of Business Administration;
· Thomas Harvey, Omaha Public Schools assistant superintendent of Student and Community Services;
· Deepak Khazanchi, professor of information systems and quantitative analysis and associate dean of the UNO College of Information Science and Technology;
· Michael Peterson, professor of geography and geology at UNO;
· Mary Sweaney, assistant director of human resources and immediate past president of the UNO Staff Advisory Council;
· James Young, Union Pacific Corporation president and chief executive officer; and
· Lyn Ziegenbein, executive director of the Peter Kiewit Foundation.
For more information, call (402) 472-7143.
© 2014 University Communications. voice: 402.554.2129, fax: 402.554.3541, email@example.com