When the Pot Plays Potter: “Isaiah”, Toy Story and Religious Socialization
1. Ackerman, Alan. “The Spirit of Toys: Resurrection and Redemption in Toy Story and Toy Story 2.” University of Toronto Quarterly, 74(4), 2005. pp. 895-912.
2. Berry, John W. “Acculturation.” Handbook of Socialization: Theory and Research. Edited by Joan E. Grusec and Paul d. Hastings. New York: Guilford Press, 2007.
3. The Holy Bible (English Standard Version). [Text available online at www.esv.org]
4. Booker, M. Keith. Disney, Pixar, and the Hidden Messages of Children’s Films. Santa Barbara: Praeger, 2010.
5. Brasher, Branda E. “Thoughts on the Status of the Cyborg: On Technological Socialization and its Link to the Religious Function of Popular Culture”. Journal of The American Academy of Religion, LXIV(4), Winter 1996. pp. 809-830.
6. Bukowski, William M, Mara Brendgen and Frank Vitaro. “Peers and Socialization: Effects on Externalizing and Internalizing Problems”. Handbook of Socialization: Theory and Research. Joan E. Grusec and Paul D. Hastings, Editors. Guilford Press, NY. 2007.
7. Byrne, Eleanor and Martin McQuillan. Deconstructing Disney. London: Pluto Press, 1999.
8. Cameron, James, dir. The Terminator. Hemdale Film, 1984.
9. Cavell, Timothy A., Shelley Humel, Kenya T. Malcolm and Amy Seay. “Socialization and Interventions for Antisocial Youth.” Handbook of Socialization: Theory and Research. Edited by Joan E. Grusec and Paul D. Hastings. New York: Guilford Press, 2006. pp. 42-67.
10. Clements, Ron and John Musker, dir. Aladdin. Disney, 1992.
11. Clements, Ron and John Musker, dir. The Little Mermaid. Disney, 1989.
12. Cuomo, Chris. “Spinsters in Sensible Shoes: Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.” From Mouse to Mermaid: the Politics of Film, Gender, and Culture. Editors Elizabeth Bell et al. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1995.
13. Dorfman, Ariel and Armand Matterlart. How to Read Donald Duck: Imperialist Ideology in the Disney Comic. New York: International General, 1975. Translated from the Spanish by David Kunzle.
14. Felperin, Leslie. “Toy Story” [Review]. Sight and Sound 6 (3). March 1996. 51-52.
15. Foster, Harve and Wilfred Jackson, dir. Song of the South. Disney, 1946.
16. Gecas, Viktor. “Socialization.” Encyclopedia of Sociology. Vol. 4, 2nd edition. New York: McMillan Reference USA, 2001. 2855-2864. Gale Virtual Encyclopedia
17. Gilleman, G. “Humility.” New Catholic Encyclopedia. 2nd Edition, Vol. 7. Washington:Thomson-Gale, 2002.
18. Giroux, Henry A. “Memory and Pedagogy in the ‘Wonderful World of Disney’: Beyond the Politics of Innocence.” From Mouse to Mermaid: The Politics of Film, Gender, and Culture. Edited by Elizabeth Bell, Lynda Haas, Laura Sells. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1995.
19. Gleiberman, Owen. “Plastic Fantastic.” Entertainment Weekly. issue 302, November 24, 1995. p. 74. Ebsco
20. Grusec, Joan E. and Paul D. Hastings. “Introduction” Handbook of Socialization: Theory and Research. Edited by Joan E. Grusec and Paul D. Hastings. New York: Guilford Press, 2006.
21. Hand, David, dir. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Disney, 1938. Film
22. Keen, Ernest. Depression: Self-Consciousness, Pretending and Guilt. Westport CT: Greenwood, 2002.
23. Kelso, J.L. “Pottery”. The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible: an Illustrated Encyclopedia. New York: Abingdon Press, 1962. p. 853.
24. Klady, Leonard. “Toy Story”. Variety Movie Reviews. Nov. 20, 1995. 1. Ebsco.
25. Klapproth, Danièle M. Narrative as Social Practice: Anglo Western and Australian Aboriginal Traditions. Berlin: Gruyter, 2004. Online, Ebrary.
26. Kline, Stephen. Out of the Garden: Toys, TV, and Children’s Culture in the Age of Marketing. London: Verso, 1993.
27. Kubrick, Stanley, dir. A Clockwork Orange. Warner Bros, 1971.
28. Lasseter, John, dir. Knick Knack. Pixar, 1989.
29. Lasseter, John, dir. Red’s Dream. Pixar, 1987.
30. Lasseter, John, dir. Tin Toy. Pixar, 1988.
31. Lasseter, John, dir. Toy Story. Pixar/Disney, 1995.
32. Lasseter, John and Andrew Stanton, dir. A Bug’s Life. Pixar/Disney, 1998. Film.
33. Lasseter, John, Ash Brannon and Lee Unkrich, dir. Toy Story 2. Pixar/Disney, 1999.
34. Luckey, Bud and Roger Gould, dir. Boundin’. Pixar, 2003.
35. Luske, Hamilton and Ben Sharpsteen, dir. Pinocchio. Disney, 1940.
36. Moser, David (Fr.). “The Pot, the Potter, and Christian Spiritual Growth.” Living Orthodoxy, 13. 1991, pp. 40-41.
37. Pinksy, Mark I. The Gospel According to Disney: Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust. Louisville KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2004.
38. Ruppersburg, Hugh. “The Alien Messiah in Recent Science Fiction Films.” Journal of Popular Film & Television, Winter 87, Vol. 14, Issue 4, pp.158-166.
39. Sharpsteen, Ben, dir. Dumbo. Disney, 1941.
40. Stanton, Andrew and Lee Unkrich, dir. Finding Nemo. Pixar, 2003.
41. Stucky, Mark D. “He is the One: The Matrix Trilogy’s Postmodern Movie Messiah.” Journal of Religion & Film, Oct 2005, Vol. 9, Issue 2, p.13.
42. Studzinski, R. “Theology of Guilt.” New Catholic Encyclopedia. 2nd Edition (volume 6). Detroit: Thomson-Gale. 2003.
43. Sutherland, Zena and May Hill Arbuthnot. Children and Books. 7th Edition. Glenview IL: Scott, Foresman and Company. 1986.
44. Trousdale, Garry and Kirk Wise, dir. Beauty and the Beast. Disney, 1991.
45. Ward, Annalee R. Mouse Morality: the Rhetoric of Disney Animated Film. Austin TX: University of Texas Press. 2002.
46. Wachowski, Andy and Larry Wachowski, dir. The Matrix. Warner Bros. Pictures, 1999.
47. Wittung, Jeffery and Daniel Bramer. “From Superman to Brahman: The Religious Shift of the Matrix Mythology.” Journal of Religion & Film, Oct 2006, Vol. 10, Issue 2, p.10.
48. Zipes, Jack. “Breaking the Disney Spell.” From Mouse to Mermaid: The Politics of Film, Gender, and Culture. Edited by Elizabeth Bell, Lynda Haas, Laura Sells. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1995.
49. Zipes, Jack. Sticks and Stones: The Troublesome Success of Children’s Literature from Slovenly Peter to Harry Potter. New York: Routledge. 2001.
Journal of Religion and Film 2009
Site Maintained by
Department of Philosophy and Religion
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Contact Webmaster about site