SKIP navigation
Faculty Senate
Faculty Senate

2013-2014 Faculty Senate

Executive Committee & Cabinet

Minutes

______________________________________________________Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 2 p.m.,  ASH 196_____________________

Present:      Adcock, M. Bacon, Casas, Holley, Mahoney, P. Smith, R. Smith, Wileman

Excused:    Petrow, Surface

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I.       The meeting was called to order at 2 p.m. by President M. Bacon. 

II.     The Minutes of the May 1, 2013, meeting were approved as submitted.

III.   Officers' Reports

A.    President's Report:  Senator M. Bacon reported, because of ongoing difficulties at home and health challenges, Senator M. Bacon was not able to attend either the Chancellor's Council or to meet with the Chancellor one-on-one.

EC&A Meeting:  May 15, 2013

      Senate Resolutions 4080 as amended and 4081 as amended were discussed and referred to a working group with Vice Chancellor Reed for examining and implementation.

      Resolutions 4082-4102 were noted.  These included Resolution 4092 on shared governance.

      The Chancellor updated the Executive Committee on the progress of the arena project.  Although the Chancellor has worked well with May-Elect Jean Stothert in the past, some delay in finalization of the partnership with the city might be anticipated simply because it will be a new administration with many competing priorities.  Fundraising for the project is going well.

      The Biomechanics Research Facility, to be dedicated on September 15, 2013, and the Community Engagement Center, to be dedicated on February 14, 2014, are both on schedule and on budget.

      The Board of Regents appears poised to approve an agreement with a MOOC provider.

      Vice Chancellor Bill Conley distributed a business and finance update.  A campus risk assessment is in progress (until June 14).  Turf installation for the Caniglia Field soccer pitch will be completed in July.  Scott Dickey will replace Mike Schmidt as Bookstore manager when the latter retires on August 1.  Mary Sweaney is Acting Human Resources Director during Mollie Anderson's absence.

B.     Deans Forum Summary:  As of June 3, 2013, it has been updated to April 4, 2013.  http://www.unomaha.edu/aandsaffairs/inside/deansforum.php

2012-2013 Resolution Action Table

(Action Pending and Current Resolutions)

Res.#

Date

Senate

Passed

Title

Admin Accept

Sent for Senate Action

Denied

Deferred

In Progress

Final Action/Resolved

4102

5/8/13

Presidential Appointments (a-e)

           

4101

5/8/13

Standing Committee Vice Chairs

           

4100

5/8/13

Chair of the Cabinet

           

4099

5/8/13

Faculty Senate Secretary/Treasurer

           

4098

5/8/13

Faculty Senate Vice President

           

4097

5/8/13

Rules Committee Chair

           

4096

5/8/13

Standing Committee Chairs

           

4095

5/8/13

University Committees  (a-j)

           

4094

5/8/13

Campus Committees (a-g)

           

4093

5/8/13

Membership of 2013-2014 Faculty Senate Standing Committees

           

4092

5/8/13

Revised Shared Governance

           

4091

5/8/13

Appreciation for President Peter Smith

           

4090

5/8/13

Appreciation for Faculty Senate Liaisons

           

4089

5/8/13

Appreciation for Chairs of the Standing Committees & Chair of Cabinet

           

4088

5/8/13

Appreciation for Secretary-Treasurer Meredith Bacon

           

4087

5/8/13

Appreciation for Vice President Winter

           

4086

5/8/13

Appreciation for Outgoing Senators

           

4085

5/8/13

New Faculty Senate Members

           

4084

5/8/13

Replacement of CFAM Senator

           

4083

5/8/13

Replacement of LIB Senator

           

4082

5/8/13

Academic Freedom Coalition of Nebraska (AFCON)

           

4081

4/10/13

&

5/8/13

Submission of Grades (B)

(& amended)

           

4080

4/10/13

&

5/8/13

Submission of Grades (A)

(& amended)

           

4079

4/10/13

MOOCs

           

CARRIED FORWARD

3079

3/9/11

Shared Governance

   

4/15/11

   

Not supported.  Chancellor's Comment:  "While I continue to be an advocate for shared governance, I will not support 3079, as I am unable to support any resolution which defines the role and responsibilities of the University's governing board, the office of the chancellor, or other administrator, which is outside the purview of the Faculty Senate."

3073

1/12/11

Employee Plus One Benefits

 

1/25/11

Senate sent to Pres Milliken, D. Burns, and Board of Regents

   

1/24/11

This is a university issue, not a campus issue. The senate can choose to forward to Varner Hall for further action or consideration.

3033

5/12/10

Instruction on the Ethical Use of Print and Online Sources in Academic Papers

5/27/10

     

X*

*Chancellor acknowledges that the subject matter is primarily an Academic Affairs issue and has asked Vice Chancellor Hynes to respond as appropriate.

3013

3/10/10

Recommended Plagiarism Policy

3/18/10

4/21/10

     

X*

-Returned to Faculty Senate for additional language consideration as discussed at the 3/17 meeting with administration.

-Relative to the minor language changes on 3013 (Plagiarism), the chancellor indicates that he would like Academic Affairs to share the policy with  the academic deans at an upcoming meeting.

2944

1/4/09

UCRCA Funding

     

X*

   

*3079(From Chancellor Christensen via Nancy Castilow in an e-mail sent on 4/15/11:  Not supported.  Chancellor's Comment:  "While I continue to be an advocate for shared governance, I will not support 3079, as I am unable to support any resolution which defines the role and responsibilities of the University's governing board, the office of the chancellor, or other administrator, which is outside the purview of the Faculty Senate.")

*3073 (From Chancellor Christensen via Nancy Castilow in an e-mail sent on 1/24/11:  This is a university issue, not a campus issue. The senate can choose to forward to Varner Hall for further action or consideration.)

*3033  (From Chancellor Christensen via Nancy Castilow in an e-mail sent on 5/27/10:  "While he is supportive of Res. 3033, he acknowledges that the subject matter is primarily an Academic Affairs issue and has asked Vice Chancellor Hynes to respond as appropriate." ) *3013  (From Chancellor Christensen via Nancy Castilow in an e-mail sent on 3/11/10) "The chancellor said the first resolution" (3013)  "needs to be considered by Terry" (Hynes) . . . ) (From Chancellor Christensen via Nancy Castilow in an e-mail sent on 4/21/10:  Relative to the minor language changes on 3013 (Plagiarism), the chancellor indicates that he would like Academic Affairs to share the policy with  the academic deans at an upcoming meeting.)

*3013  (From Chancellor Christensen via Nancy Castilow in an e-mail sent on 3/11/10) "The chancellor said the first resolution" (3013)  "needs to be considered by Terry" (Hynes) . . . ) (From Chancellor Christensen via Nancy Castilow in an e-mail sent on 4/21/10:  Relative to the minor language changes on 3013 (Plagiarism), the chancellor indicates that he would like Academic Affairs to share the policy with  the academic deans at an upcoming meeting.)

*2944 (From the EC & Admin Mtg 1/21/09: The Chancellor supports the concept in Resolution 2944 on funding an UCRCA budget line but opined we wouldn't get it during the years of budgetary problems.)(6/10/09 Nancy Castilow wrote for Chanc. Christensen: "One clarification related to  Res. 2944, dealing with ongoing support of the UCRCA budget.  I said that I was open to the concept and supportive of continued funding of the UCRCA budget, albeit we would need to review its  funding during times of budget constraints, as we do with other such programs.  The decision to fund and how much to fund remains the purview of the Office of Academic Affairs.  I did not opine that the UCRCA budget line would automatically see no funding during years of budgetary problems.")

C.     Treasurer's Report:  Senator  Holley  submitted the May 2013, Budget Report.

IV.     Standing Committee Reports:  No reports.

V.      Non-Senate Committee Reports

A.    Parking Advisory Committee:  Professors Carballal, Darr, P. Smith

UNO Parking Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes

Meeting held March 01, 2013 10:00 AM CPACS 208

Attending: Doug Paterson, Dave Nielsen, Ana Carballal, Heather Overton, Jim Ecker, Brian Barry, Ed Tisko, Stan Schleifer, Karen Kempkes

Map Status

·         Researching what other schools label their parking garages

·         Concern with what codes to use

·         Stan stated this would be a discussion outside of the Parking Committee

·         Google maps will continue as base map for parking

·         Use base map model then add layers of details such as shuttles and disability information

Parking Structures

·         No change regarding Crossroads parking

·         No determination made in why garages were so full on February 26. Possible explanation: snow

Parking meter fees are changing to keep up with cost of operation and maintenance

·         Fees have not gone up in ten years

·         The increase will bring the price to park at a meter close to what is in place downtown

·         Community Engagement Center (CEC) may take some pressure off metered parking

·         Brian is researching meter technology

·         Breakeven point to take swipe cards is $1.50 an hour

·         Desire to make coin meters last longer because they are more cost efficient

Parking for Community Engagement Center (CEC)

·         Attendance booth and gates will be in place at west entrance of parking area north of CEC (lots D and E)

·         This area  will be focal point of visitor parking

·         Doug voiced concerns regarding faculty and staff parking and fairness

·         Suggestion to make underground area under CEC visitor parking only and not faculty and staff

·         These decisions will be made by B.J. Reed

Master plan is to move parking out to perimeter to make campus more pedestrian friendly

Biomechanics Building will be done in August

·         Parking Services supports request for more reserved stalls close to building; motion made by Dave, seconded by Heather, no opposed

Adjunct Parking

·         Issue at Pacific Street campus especially

·         No solution, problems arise when trying to tailor permits to attendance

·         Question of whether adjuncts are looked at as faculty; need to be careful about mixing issues

Volunteer Parking

·         Volunteers receive free permits if they are not paid

·         Hundreds of volunteer permits are on campus everyday

·         Possibility of charging departments for volunteer passes; concern there could be pushback

·         Revenue source continues to shrink so that the cost is a burden on a smaller number of people

Ana brought up a concern about lot W: People are dropping off and picking up and staying too long in flow of traffic

·         Brian said officers are told to tell people to keep moving

May not have meeting in May

------------------------------------------------

UNO Parking Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes

Meeting held April 05, 2013 CPACS 208

Attending: Doug Paterson, Dave Nielsen, Alec Schoreit, Ana Carballal, Heather Overton, Jim Ecker, Brian Barry, Stan Schleifer, Karen Kempkes

Motorcycle Parking Registration Proposal

·         More people riding year round

·         Some stalls available in the garage

·         Annual registration fee of $50 as a stand-alone pass

·         One free registration if you have a car permit already

·         Classified as registration fee as opposed to permit

·         Use some kind of tags to designate registration

o   talk to different universities for comparators

o   Champagne Urbana uses a small metal tag

·         Registration number on screw on license plate bracket

o    do not use sticker as an option; vendor is sending samples

·         Goal: make it easy

·         More motorcycles are coming to campus, looking for small parcels of land that will not take up parking for cars

o   Make these areas for motorcycle parking only

·         Dangerous to allow motorcycles to intermix with cars

·         Question about whether registration tag would be theft proof

·         Motion to register motorcycles for parking made by Ana, seconded by Heather. All in favor.

Proposal to change parking policy for UNMC permitted cars

·         Currently UNMC employees can park at UNO in any stall

·         Problematic because they are parking in central campus stalls which are prime areas for UNO students to use

·         Displacing UNO paid parking

·         Suggested that the UNMC permitted vehicles have to park in perimeter lots, church lots, lot by child care center, Pacific Street area

·         Process: notify them, put out notices right away, courtesy notice in the Fall

·         UNMC permit cost is less, some UNO people are beating the system by purchasing UNMC passes and using at UNO

·         50-150 UNMC permits on campus on any given day

·         Dave motioned to approve UNMC parking restricted to perimeter lots, seconded by Ana, passed unanimously

Proposal: Use Lot T (LL of east garage) for special event parking

·         Currently $2 for parking after 12:30 with no time limit; proposal to change to $5 anytime

·         Alternative for visitors

·         Don't want this to be an alternative to buying a permit

·         Not looking at this as revenue source, rather, looking at it as an alternative for visitor parking

·         Top and middle levels will stay the same, want to make it so people can come to campus and find a place to park

·         There is still a perception of no parking at UNO

·         A concern was raised that lot T would be $5 after 12:30 and the other two levels will only be $2 after 12:30

·         Suggestion made to table the topic until next (academic) year

Spring Semester 2013 Lot Count presentation given by Brian Barry

·         Friday is the best day to plan functions, fewer classes on campus, no classes at Mammal Hall and PKI, but this may change

·         Lots 9, 10 and 14 on Pacific campus and Lots J and T on Dodge campus are under utilized

Questions raised about shuttles and what to do during tornado drills or real tornado events

This is Doug's last meeting as parking Committee Chair

Next meeting in late Summer, 2013

B.     Strategic Planning Steering Committee:  tba

1.       Strategic Advisory Budget Committee:  Prof Kerry Ward

C.    U-Wide Fringe Benefits Committee:  Professor Erickson

VI.     New Business

A.    Possible Date Changes for Meetings:

1.      July EC&C Meeting:  will be July 3, 2013 (1st Wednesday, as usual)

2.      August EC&C Meeting:  August 14, 2013  (changed to 2nd Wednesday)

3.      January 2014 (due to January 1, 2014, falling on the 1st Wednesday)

a.      EC&C Meeting:  January 8

b.      Faculty Senate Meeting:  January 15

c.       EC&Adm Meeting:  January 22

B.     Proposal for New Program:  Executive Master of Science in Information Technology (EMIT) was discussed at great length.  One point in contention was the fee of $40,000 per person for the course.  Senators Mahoney and Wileman, both IS&T senators, are to research the following items:  Financial, visual divide and ethics, and, while the College of Business offers both and MBA and an EMBA, there is only the EMIT being proposed or offered from IS&T.  Senator R. Smith will discuss the proposal with Senator N. Bacon who was the chairperson of the A&CA committee when the proposal was presented to the Faculty Senate.  The proposal will be discussed again at the July EC&C meeting.

C.     Faculty Senate Retreat (8/21/13) Planning (all invited to join us for lunch)

1.      Speaker(s)/Topics

a.       Victor Winter to speak on MOOCs

b.      Mary Niemiec (NU Online Worldwide) to speak on a "MOOC-ish" subject

c.       Chancellor Christensen to speak a few words of welcome

d.      SVC BJ Reed to speak a few words

2.      Thoughts/Goals/Themes for 2013-2014:  no decision was made.   More discussion will be held at the July EC&C.

VII.     The meeting adjourned at 3:25, with announcements. 

VIII.   Announcements

A.    EC&C Mtg:  July 3 2013, 2 p.m., ASH 196

B.     EC&A Mtg:  July 17, 2013, 2 p.m., EAB 200

C.    EC&C Mtg:  August 14, 2013, 2 p.m., ASH 196

D.    Faculty Senate RETREAT:  August 21, 2013, ___a.m. to___ p.m?

E.     EC&A Mtg:  Not held in August