His Own Words: On Summer School
by Oliver B. Pollak
Summer school can be a memorable experience. I went to summer school to get ahead in junior high (now middle school), high school (including repeating Geometry), as an undergraduate, graduate, and in law school. ...continue
ASH 287 Ceiling Renovation Reminder
Renovation of the ceiling in 287 Arts and Sciences Hall will begin this Saturday, June 2. Work will be conducted during the weekend on the days of June 2-3 and June 9-10 and should be completed on June 10. Faculty will not be able to enter this area during the weekends of these dates.
The contractor is Mark VII Enterprises. If you have any comments or concerns about this project, the UNO project contacts are: Andrew Sorensen (402.554.3266) or Diane Sunde (402.554.2267).Up to Top
NACRAO Summer Workshop June 12 at Creighton
The Nebraska Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (NACRAO) Summer Workshop is set for Tuesday, June 12, in Omaha on the campus of Creighton University. UNO NACRAO members invite other UNO faculty and staff to hear Barmak Nassirian speak at the NACRAO Summer Workshop.
Since 1998, Nassirian has served as associate executive director of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). He has been active in higher education policy for nearly two decades: focusing on access and financing issues, educational privacy and federal regulations.
Visit NACRAO's website for more information at http://www.nacrao.org/registrars-professional-development-workshop/Up to Top
In the News
- Robin Gandhi, School of Interdisciplinary Informatics and a member of Nebraska University Center for Information Assurance (NUCIA), was quoted in the Omaha World-Herald about a stealthy computer virus called "Flame," which has been infiltrating Iranian computers for the last two years.
- Cathy Pettid, counseling center, and Maria Arbelaez history, were mentioned in a Memorial Day piece in the Omaha World-Herald about the ritual of visiting the graves of loved ones.
- Harl Dalstrom, professor emeritus of history, was mentioned in the Omaha World-Herald for a presentation at Prospect Hill Cemetery for the 200th anniversary the War of 1812. Dalstrom was quoted by WOWT for a similar story about the presentation.
- Donald Baum, economics, was quoted in the Omaha World-Herald about job report numbers.
- Ken Kriz, public administration, Chris Decker, economics, and Mark Wohar, economics, were featured in the Omaha World-Herald to discuss their Omaha Economic Index. Recent numbers showed higher-than-expected growth in the first quarter of 2012.
- Jeremy Lipschultz, communication, was featured on the Huffington Post about the future of newspapers and the potential for streaming information over mobile devices.
- Louis Pol, dean of the College of Business Administration, was quoted on KFAB about Kiplinger’s recent ranking of Omaha as the best city to raise kids.
If you are a member of the UNO community and have been interviewed by the media - local, state, regional, national or international - we want to know about it. Send an e-mail with the particulars to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a contact name and phone number. For more information, call 402.554.2129.Up to Top
Criss Library Summer Hours
The Criss Library's summer hours through Aug. 19 are:
* Friday: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Saturday: Noon to 5 p.m.
* Sunday: Noon to 9 p.m.
* Monday through Thursday: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
For a complete schedule of holidays and other schedule exceptions, visit http://library.unomaha.edu/information/hours.php.Up to Top
Upcoming Fidelity Counseling Sessions Announced
Fidelity representative Jason Cronick will be in Omaha this month for individual counseling sessions from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 5 and 29. To make an appointment, call 1.800.642.7131.Up to Top
Discount Memberships Available to Lauritzen Gardens through June 30
UNO faculty and staff are eligible for a $10 discount on memberships to Lauritzen Gardens. To receive the discount, memberships must be purchased by Saturday, June 30.
Several membership levels are available, including individual, dual, family, grandparent and patron and benefactor. To sign up, fill out an application form and return it with payment to:
100 Bancroft St.
Omaha, NE 68108
To download an application, click on the following link:
For more information, contact Amanda Doty at 402.346.4002, ext. 214, or email@example.com.Up to Top