May 18, 1975: UNO Softball Wins College World Series
Information (UNO Alumni Association)
On this day in UNO history, the women’s softball team, led by Connie Clausen, defeated Northern Iowa in a best-of-three series to win the 1975 DII National Championship.
NU Board of Regents to Meet, Make Campus Visit Today at UNMC
University of Nebraska Board of Regents will meet today, May 18, in 1004 Durham Research Center at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC). The
brief meeting will begin at 8:30 a.m. The Board will consider the
rehabilitation of the Ed Weir Track at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln,
including the purchase of a Mondo track surface.
Following the meeting, the Board will make a campus visit to UNMC. The full agenda for the day is available online. Read more.
Criss Library to Host Art Event and Performance Tonight
UNO Criss Library has partnered with Apollon to present a co-created arts experience that brings together performance, visual, and culinary art. Performances continue tonight, May 18, through Sunday, May 20.
Inspired, in part, by the music of Bruce Springsteen, the work in Full-Time
chronicles part of the dark side of the American Dream through the eyes of
people for whom it may never be more than an unattainable standard.
Each show includes a gourmet meal, gallery exhibition, and original performance. All performances occur at the Criss Library.
Friday, May 18, at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, May 19, at 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, May 20, at 12:30 p.m.
All advance tickets are $22. General admission tickets are $30; members and student tickets are $25.
For more information, visit http://apollonomaha.com/productions/spring-show.Up to Top
University Drive East Parking Structure Maintenance This Weekend
The University Drive East Parking Structure (PS1), located south of Arts and Sciences Hall, will see lot closures over the upcoming weekend. The following schedule will apply:
Gate closing schedule:
* Lot V (upper level) Saturday, May 19: 12 a.m. gates closed, reopens Sunday, May 20
* Lot U (middle level) Sunday, May 20: 12 a.m. gates closed, reopens Monday, May 21
* Lot T (lower level) Monday, May 21: 12 a.m. gates closed, reopens Tuesday, May 22
This weekend, Facilities Management and Planning staff reminds those who also park or have vehicles and equipment parked in the garage to please move them and avoid parking in PS1 until Tuesday, May 22. Watch eNotes for updates.Up to Top
UNO Bookstore to Close for Annual Physical Inventory
The UNO Bookstore will be closed for annual physical inventory next week, Tuesday through Friday, May 21-25. The bookstore will reopen on Tuesday, May 29, 2012.
Summer Bookstore hours are:
Monday through Tuesday - 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wednesday through Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.Up to Top
IAAP Meeting This June in Omaha
The 10th Annual Iowa-Nebraska Division Meeting of the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) is set for Friday through Sunday, June 1-3, in Omaha. UNO IAAP members invite other UNO office professionals to join the organization for a weekend of inspiration and information.
On Friday, June 1, the meeting officially begins with registration and hospitality, from 3 to 7:30 p.m., at the Marriott Regency hotel, followed by a baseball game and dinner at Werner Park, with transportation and fireworks provided. Seminars on Saturday, June 2, include Andy Greenberg on "Motivating Your Mind for a Better Personal and Professional Life," and Dr. William Austin on "Cross Cultural Communication." "Reclaim Your Space by Working Smarter Not Harder," will be presented Sunday, June 3, by Jan Bartelt.
Participants are invited to register for the whole weekend, or can chose to attend the presentations separately ($50 for both Saturday seminars, $25 for the Sunday seminar by itself). Discounts are also available for UNO students.Up to Top
UNO Library Friends to Host June 5 Book Discussion
The UNO Library Friends will host a discussion of the book The Tao of Travel, by Paul Theroux, at noon on Tuesday, June 5, in the Thompson Alumni Center. The discussion leader will be Robert Runyon, dean emeritus of the UNO Library.
Paul Theroux's book celebrates 50 years of wandering the globe and contains some of the best writing from the books that shaped him as a reader and traveler. Part philosophical guide, part miscellany, part reminiscence, The Tao of Travel contains excerpts from the best of Theroux's own work interspersed with selections from travelers both familiar and unexpected: Nabokov, Welty, Waugh, Baldwin, Dickens, Thoreau, Chekhov, Twain, Hemingway, Greene and many others.
All are welcome to attend. Ample, free parking is available at the Alumni Center. For more information, contact Linda Riviera at firstname.lastname@example.org.Up to Top
In the News
- Carson Holloway, Randy Adkins, and Paul Landow, political science, were featured on the Crash Davis Show on KFAB throughout the week. Landow discussed the recent surge of support for Deb Fischer, Republican nominee for Senate, while Adkins discussed results from Tuesdayâ€™s primary and Holloway discussed the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act on Thursday.
- Randy Adkins, political science, was quoted in Thursdayâ€™s Omaha World-Herald about Deb Fischerâ€™s win in the Tuesday primaries; the story was also picked up by Grand Island Independent. Adkins was also featured in the World-Herald, giving his pre-primary analysis.
- Paul Landow, political science, was quoted in an AP story picked up by the New Orleans Times-Picayune about Rep. Lee Terryâ€™s battle for Nebraskaâ€™s 2nd congressional district.
- Karen Dwyer, communication, was quoted in the Omaha World-Herald in a story about preparing for high school graduation speeches. Dwyer has helped many students at UNO prepare speeches for their graduation speeches.
- Cindy Phaneuf, theatre, was mentioned in an Omaha World-Herald story on the Rose Theaterâ€™s 2012-13 season. Phaneuf will be directing â€śTomas and the Library Ladyâ€ť in early 2013.
- Jess Benjamin, art and art history, was mentioned in an Omaha World-Herald feature. Benjamin is a local artist who adjunct teaches in ceramics at UNO.
If you are a member of the UNO community and have been interviewed by the media - local, state, regional, national or international - we want to know about it. Send an e-mail with the particulars to email@example.com. Please include a contact name and phone number. For more information, call 402.554.2129.Up to Top
New Criss Library Database - IBISWorld
Criss Library has purchased access to IBISWorld, a database containing a very comprehensive collection of Industry Market Research Reports. There are more than 700 industry reports available and all are researched, written and updated by research analysts employed by IBISWorld. These reports will be valuable for business research, marketing information, and communication and advertising.
To bring up a report the user can type in keywords describing the industry, type in the NAICS code of the industry, or click on the link of a report categorized by major industry headings. Each report, which can be downloaded as a PDF, contains 11 areas of interest such as the definition of the industry, the industry outlook, competitive outlook, major companies and key statistics. IBISWorld also contains three other country industry reports: Australia, China and Great Britain. The industry reports for each country have their own databases and can be accessed separately or through the Global Industry Reports tab on the main IBISWorld home page.
Links to access IBISWorld can be found on the Business and Economics LibGuide http://libguides.unomaha.edu/business_economics under the Industries and Companies tab, or from the Criss Library Home page / Research Tools / Find Articles, Databases and Journals / All Databases A – Z / Click on "I".
For additional information, contact Nora Hillyer firstname.lastname@example.org.Up to Top