P-16 Initiative Honored by Lewis & Clark
photo courtesy Service Learning Academy
The UNO Service Learning Academy's P-16 Initiative, which has worked on dozens of community engagement projects pairing elementary, middle and high school students with students at UNO, was honored by Lewis & Clark Middle School as the 'Trailblazer of the Year' on Tuesday, May 8. P-16 has partnered with Lewis & Clark for several projects this year.
photos by Tim Fitzgerald & Dani Archuleta
Commencement ceremonies began Friday afternoon at Caniglia Field with a commencement address by former senator Chuck Hagel and an honorary degree to Dick Holland, the Chancellor's Medal to Dr. Ethel Williams and the Citation for Alumni Achievement to Robert Houston. Diplomas were given out Friday evening in the Fieldhouse to graduate students and on Saturday in the Pep Bowl, the back yard of the Alumni Center, at PKI and Mammel Hall.
Gov. Dave Heineman has ordered all U.S. and Nebraska flags be flown today, May 15, at half-staff in observance of Peace Officers' Memorial Day. Read more.Up to Top
Today's Webinar to Focus on 'Kids on Campus'
Kids interact with colleges and universities in many ways - as campers, research subjects and visitors. It is important that appropriate policies and procedures are in place to ensure that the university is fulfilling its legal and ethical responsibilities to these children.
A webinar, "Kids on Campus: Best Practices in Protecting Minors and Your Institution," will take place today, May 15, at 1 p.m. in the College of Public Affairs and Community Service Collaborating Commons. The presenters will examine conditions that may lead to abuse as well as ways to respond to suspected or actual problems. Practical advice will be offered in meeting institutional legal requirements and establishing operating guidelines. Refreshments will be served.Up to Top
'A Fitter You' Informational Meetings This Week
Campus Recreation will offer "A Fitter You" Bootcamp this summer for individuals looking to improve in all aspects of their physical performance. It is open to members and non-members of the Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) Building. Two informational meetings will take place this week.
Thursday, May 17 – 5:15 p.m.
Friday, May 18 – Noon
June 4 through Aug. 3
Monday and Wednesday – 6:30 to 7:30 a.m.
Tuesday and Thursday – Noon to 12:50 p.m.
UNO Campus Rec cardholder: $24
Questions? Call 402.554.2539 or stop by 104 HPER.Up to Top
People: Roni Reiter-Palmon Named Editor in Chief
- Roni Reiter-Palmon, professor of Psychology and with The Center for Collaboration Science, has been appointed as Editor in Chief to The Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity and the Arts. The journal, published by the American Psychological Association is considered the premier journal on the topic of creativity.
Have you done something noteworthy in your profession? E-mail "People" items to email@example.com. "People" appears in the Tuesday edition of eNotes.Up to Top
MavCard Services Off-campus Locations
MavCard Services would like to remind the campus community that your MavCard can be used to pay at many surrounding off-campus businesses. You can use your MavCard at the following locations:
- Blue Planet Natural Grill, 6307 Center Street, Suite 101
- Burger Star, 1222 S 71st Suite #1
- CVS Pharmacy, 4840 Dodge St.
- Fazoli's, 8002 Cass St.
- Five Guys Burgers and Fries, 7345 Dodge St.
- Fuddruckers, 7059 Dodge St.
- Jason's Deli, 7010 Dodge St.
- Jones Brothers Cupcakes, 2121 S. 67th St.
- Noodles & Company, 203 South 72nd St. #203
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt, 1110 South 71st St., Suite F
- Smashburger, 7204 Jones St.
- TGI Friday's, 10000 California St.
- Qdoba Mexican Grill, 1110 South 71st St.
- Wohlner's Deli, Located in Mammel Hall College of Business
- Wohlner's Market, 2289 South 67th St.Up to Top
Campus Recreation Hosts Golf Classic May 23
Are you interested in the upcoming golf outing at Indian Creek Golf Course on Wednesday, May 23? Register for the 2012 Golf Classic Tournament at http://www.unomaha.edu/wwwocr/golfclassic/index.php. Contact Joe Kaminski at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.Up to Top