2011 UNO-Diet Pepsi Women's Walk Raises $4 Million
video by Charley Reed
In its 26th year, the UNO Women's Walk raised $240,000 for scholarships for female athletes, helping the event cross the $4 million mark all-time.
The Henningson Memorial Campanile: UNO's Icon
With how iconic the Henningson Memorial Campanile is to the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus, it's sometimes easy to forget (or, for others, forget to ask) that the 16-story bell tower isn't even old enough to graduate at commencement this May. continue . . .
UNO Commencement Takes Place Today at the Civic
More than 1,700 students will graduate today, May 6, during UNO's spring commencement ceremony. This will be the largest commencement in the university's history. The event begins at 2 p.m. at the Omaha Civic Auditorium, 1804 Capitol Ave.
Individuals who will be honored during the ceremony include: Student Commencement Speaker - Michael Crabb; Alumnus Achievement Award - Katherine English and Alumnus Achievement Award - Ambassador Laurie S. Fulton. Read more.
Supporting Faculty Teaching in a Digital Age Workshop
All faculty are invited to a two-day interactive workshop highlighting key principles of a digital learning environment. Participants will learn strategies to redesign course elements for the purpose of engaging students and improving learning. This is an interactive workshop in which participants are expected to bring a course syllabus and work collaboratively with colleagues to identify and discuss areas for improvement in their courses.
Dates and Times:
Wednesday, May 11, 7:30 a.m. to noon
Thursday, May 12, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Milo Bail Student Center Dodge Room
To register, contact the Center for Faculty Development at (402) 554.2427 or email@example.com. For more information about the workshop, visit the workshop website at http://api.unomaha.edu/digitalage/index.php.
Commencement Shuttle Bus Available
More than 1,700 students will receive degrees today, May 6, during UNO's spring commencement ceremony. The event will begin at 2 p.m. at the Omaha Civic Auditorium,1804 Capitol Ave. Faculty members should assemble no later than 1:30 p.m. in the Exhibition Hall.
Shuttle buses for faculty, staff and individuals participating in the platform party will depart from UNO in front of the Milo Bail Student Center (MBSC) at 1 p.m. Following the ceremony, the shuttle will provide transportation back to the MBSC.
Men's Soccer Tryout Meeting Set for Today
Jay Mims, the new UNO men's head soccer coach, will hold a tryout meeting today, May 6, at 3 p.m. for any current UNO student interested in trying out for the team, which will begin play next fall. The meeting will take place in front of Sapp Fieldhouse.Up to Top
Campus Rec Group Ex Introduces Summer Fit Series
The Summer Fit Series is a pilot program geared toward people wanting to increase their fitness level by being pushed a little harder than a normal group fitness class.
The session will start Monday, May 16, and lasts six weeks. There will be a class offered Monday through Friday that focuses on different areas such as, cardio, core and flexibility. Each class will be offered twice daily to accommodate participants' schedules.
There is no charge for this session of Summer Fit Series, but all participants must be UNO students or Campus Rec members.
To sign up, email Angie Helseth at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the HPER Control Desk. More info is online at http://www.unomaha.edu/wwwocr/health/aerobics.php
KANEKO-UNO Library Closed May 12-13
The KANEKO-UNO Library will be closed to patrons Thursday and Friday, May 12 and 13, due to the Big Omaha conference. However, if anyone needs access to the materials found only at this library during this time period, please call (402) 932.3486 and appropriate arrangements will be made.Up to Top
HPER Pool Closing Today
The Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) Pool will be closed starting today, May 6, at 1 p.m. and will remain closed for the month of May for routine maintenance and cleaning.
During the closure, all Campus Rec members and Masters Swimmers will have access to the Brownell-Talbot School Pool for free. All swimmers must show their MavCard to gain access. The dates and times can be found at: http://www.unomaha.edu/wwwocr/aquatics/poolhours.php
In The News
- The Associated Press in Omaha spoke with Trev Alberts, Athletics, on April 28 about his experiences playing college football and broadcasting for ESPN, and UNO's upcoming move to the Summit League.
- The May 1 issue of the Omaha World-Herald featured a Midlands Voices column by Chris Allen, School of Communication. Allen wrote about the role of working media who cover wars and other global conflicts.
- Jonathan Benjamin-Alvarado, Department of Political Science and Office of Latino/Latin American Studies (OLLAS), was quoted in the April 30 issue of the Omaha World-Herald on how plans for redistricting could impact Latino voters in Nebraska.
- Chancellor John Christensen was quoted in the April 29 issue of the Omaha World-Herald about the expansion of the Metropolitan Advantage Program in Iowa. Through the program, students in select Iowa counties can receive reduced tuition at UNO.
- Tom Gouttierre, International Studies and Programs and Center for Afghanistan Studies, spoke with the following local and national media outlets this week following the death of Osama bin Laden: Wisconsin Public Radio, The Huffington Post, Associated Press, Omaha World-Herald, Lincoln Journal Star, KETV, KPTM, KMTV, KVNO, The Daily Nonpareil (Council Bluffs), KKAR and KFAB.
- Bruce Johansen, School of Communication, wrote a Midlands Voices column about climate change for the May 4 issue of the Omaha World-Herald.
- The May 4 issue of the Omaha World-Herald featured an article about the redistricting of Nebraska, quoting Paul Landow, Department of Political Science.
If you are a member of the UNO community and have been interviewed by the media - local, state, regional, national or international - we want to know about it. Send an e-mail with the particulars to email@example.com. Please include a contact name and phone number. For more information, call (402) 554.2762.Up to Top
- Renovations at University Village receive a mention in the current issue of Association of College and University Housing Officers - International Magazine. The story is online at http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/acuho/talkingstick_20110506/#/50
If you've authored or edited a book, article or other text that's been published recently, we want to know about it. Send an e-mail with the particulars to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a contact name and phone number. For more information, call (402) 554.2243.Up to Top
May Art Graduates on Display through May 6
Covers on Display at Criss Library
Jazz Art of David Stone Martin highlights the work of a noted American
artist who designed the covers for about 400 albums between the 1940s and the
Martin's style is immediately recognizable for his fine twisting lines and impressionistic view of musicians and their instruments, and is sometimes referred to as the DSM ‘line.' He is often referred to by his initials DSM.
The exhibit is on display this month at Criss Library's Osborne Family Gallery. It is free and open to the public. The exhibit, which is drawn from the personal collection of Sam Walker, continues through Thursday, May 19. Read more.
If you are a member of the UNO community and are involved in an exhibit, we want to know about it! Send an e-mail with the particulars to email@example.com. Please include a contact name and phone number. For more information, call (402) 554.2243.Up to Top