'You Look MAVelous!' Challengers Take Center Stage
'You Look MAVelous!' – UNO's fitness and summer weight loss challenge - held its first weigh-in May 20 on the Henningson Memorial Plaza. More than 22 teams braved the gusty winds and emptied their pockets for the weigh-in. Each participant received a 'You Look MAVelous!' bracelet. The Wellness Stampede, Human Resources and Student Health Services teamed up to host the first-ever challenge, which encourages faculty and staff to work together to come up with a healthier workforce. 'You Look MAVelous!' runs through Wednesday, Aug. 19.
USSTRATCOM Commander Hears UNO Intern Ideas on Cyber Security, Global Stability
by John Prescott
It's rare when a four-star combatant commander invites college students to his office for a private meeting on global security issues. At United States Strategic Command however, it's becoming business as usual. ...continue
By order of Gov. Dave Heineman, all U.S. and Nebraska flags will be lowered to half-staff Monday, May 25, until noon in observance of Memorial Day.
Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, honors those who have died in the nation's service. In 1971, it was declared a national holiday to be held on the last Monday in May.
Parking Structure Repair Work Begins on Middle Level Today
Facilities Management and Planning staff continues to make repairs to the University Drive East Parking Structure. The middle level will be shut down starting today, May 22, for surface crack sealing, cleaning and striping.
Parking will be available on the top and lower levels. Repairs are expected to take a week. Watch eNotes for updates. For more information, contact Campus Security at 554.2648.
Foreign Liability Coverage Extended for 2009-10
UNO is in the process of extending foreign liability insurance for the 2009-10 fiscal year. The university's Foreign Liability Coverage Policy requires clarification regarding upcoming travel.
Faculty and staff anticipating foreign travel in the coming year are asked to provide Risk Management with the best estimates. Click on this link for employee and student travel details.
The information should be sent, as soon as possible, to Risk Management, 209 Eppley Administration Building. Anyone needing an electronic spreadsheet to populate should send an e-mail to Laura Lamblin at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.unomaha.edu/riskmgmt/forms.php.
Division of Continuing Studies, Veteran Services to Host Informational Session
The UNO Division of Continuing Studies and the UNO Veteran Services office will host the Veteran Education Briefing this Saturday, May 30, at the William H. and Dorothy Thompson Alumni Center.
This event is free and open to all veterans or those in the military in the Omaha metropolitan area. UNO campus veterans are also encouraged to attend. Read more.
Criss Library to Close Memorial Day Weekend
Criss Library staff announces that the library will close Saturday through Monday, May 23-25, for the Memorial Day holiday weekend. The library will reopen Tuesday, May 26, at 7 a.m.
For more information, visit http://library.unomaha.edu/breakingnews/.
UNO to Close May 25 for Memorial Day
UNO will close Monday, May 25, in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. Go online for the summer schedule at http://www.ses.unomaha.edu/registrar/calendar2.php.
Plaza Fountain Concrete Replacement Work Under Way
Concrete replacement work continues near the Henningson Memorial Plaza fountain outside the Milo Bail Student Center and Allwine Hall.
The area at the top of the northeast steps and ramp around the fountain are now restricted. This project should take less than two weeks, weather permitting. Pedestrians are asked to use the doors at the northwest, southwest and southeast of Allwine Hall.
For more information, contact Walt Burr at 554.2582.
Bookstore to Close for Annual Inventory
The UNO Bookstore will be closed for its annual inventory Monday through Friday, May 25-29. Regular summer hours are as follows:
- Monday and Tuesday
7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday through Friday
7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information, contact Jacinda Brooks at 554.2360 or email@example.com.
Summer Permit Parking Available in Church Lot
UNO employees with faculty/staff parking permits can park in the St. Margaret Mary's Church parking lot at 6116 Dodge St. this summer. Parking will be available there in UNO-designated lots through Friday, Aug. 21.
During the fall and spring semesters, parking at this location remains limited to student permit holders. Night-only permits will not be honored until after 12:30 p.m.
For more information, contact Campus Security at 554.2648.
In the News
- A May 14 press conference hosted by Athletic Director Trev Alberts about UNO's hockey program was covered by the following media outlets: Omaha World-Herald, KMTV (CBS 3), KETV (ABC 7), WOWT (NBC 6), KPTM (Fox 42), and KKAR (1290 AM).
- The May 11 issue of the Omaha World-Herald featured an article about a student group who traveled to Norway. Graduate student Jessica Clem, student Felicia Synowicki and Deepak Khazanchi, College of Information Science and Technology, were quoted in the article.
- David Drozd, Center for Public Affairs Research, spoke with the Omaha World-Herald, Lincoln Journal Star and Associated Press on May 14 about changes in Nebraska's population.
- The May 15 issue of the Omaha World-Herald published a guest column by Carol Ebdon, School of Public Administration, and Paul Landow, Department of Political Science, about Omaha Mayor-Elect Jim Suttle.
- Angie Eikenberry, School of Public Administration, was a guest on "Money Matters and More" (Washington, D.C.) May 21, where she discussed giving circles. Dr. Eikenberry also recently conducted interviews with National Public Radio and The Chronicle of Philanthropy about giving circles.
- The May 13 issue of the Kansas City Star published an article about baseball Head Coach Bob Herold.
- James Johnson, Department of Music, was quoted in the May 17 issue of the Omaha World-Herald. Dr. Johnson spoke about one of his students who will be featured on "From the Top." Classical 90.7 KVNO airs "From the Top" Saturdays at 6 p.m.
- The May 21 issue of the Omaha World-Herald published an article about students seeking summer jobs, quoting Michelle Perone, Career Center.
- B.J. Reed, College of Public Affairs and Community Service, was quoted in the May 12 issue of the Omaha World-Herald about residents' level of satisfaction with Omaha and its leadership.
- Sam Walker, School of Criminal Justice, was quoted in the May 14 issue of the Los Angeles Times about an excessive force incident involving an El Monte, Calif., police officer.
If you are a member of the UNO community and have been interviewed by the media - local, state, regional, national or international - we want to know about it. Send an e-mail with the particulars to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a contact name and phone number. For more information, call 554.2243.
- Bridget Blomfield, Islamic Studies, recently published the article "Markers of the Heart: Finding Spirituality in a Bus Marked 'Tourist'" in the Journal of Management, Spirituality & Religion, Volume 6 Issue 2, 91.
If you've authored or edited a book, article or other text that's been published recently, we want to know about it. Send an e-mail with the particulars to email@example.com. Please include a contact name and phone number. For more information, call 554.2243.
"From the Top" to Perform at Holland Tonight
Classical 90.7 KVNO, in collaboration with Omaha Performing Arts, will present "From the Top," an National Public Radio produced show that airs on KVNO every Saturday at 6 p.m.
This program features outstanding young musicians (ages 8 to 18) who have been selected from a national pool of applicants to appear on the show. The hit radio program will be recorded tonight, May 22, at 7:30 p.m. Holland Performing Arts Center.
Two Omaha students have been selected to appear on the show. Shundeena Beard, an 18-year-old violist and Central High School graduate who will attend the Peabody Institute in Baltimore; and Ben Fuller, an 18-year-old pianist and Creighton Prep graduate who plans to attend Luther College.
To purchase tickets, call Ticket Omaha at 345.0606 or go to http://www.ticketomaha.org.
If you are a member of the UNO community and are involved in an upcoming performance, we want to know about it. Send an e-mail with the particulars to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a contact name and phone number.
Apollo Artifacts on Display at Criss Library through May 28
Artifacts commemorating America's 1969 venture to the moon are on display at Criss Library through Thursday, May 28. The items are on loan from the Johnson Space Center in Houston.
The display, "Project Apollo Exhibit," features an astronaut spacesuit and helmet from the Apollo mission and 13 self-standing panels mounted with photographs depicting the Apollo Program.
For more information, call Criss Library at 554.2640.
If you are a member of the UNO community and are involved in an exhibit, we want to know about it! Send an e-mail with the particulars to email@example.com. Please include a contact name and phone number. For more information, call 554.2243.