SKIP navigation
Division of Continuing Studies

Recreation/Leisure Studies

The Division of Continuing Studies offers the Bachelor of General Studies degree with an area of concentration in recreation/leisure studies.


Additional information:

RLS 2440 Foundations of Recreation 3 hrs
RLS 2500 Outdoor Recreation 3 hrs
RLS 3100/SOC 3100 Sociology of Sport and Leisure 3 hrs
RLS 3500 Therapeutic Recreation 3 hrs
RLS 4240 Recreation Administration 3 hrs
RLS 4300 Recreation programming 3 hrs
RLS 4550 Practicum I (summers only) 6 hrs
RLS 4560 Practicum II (summers only) 6 hrs
RLS 4100 Facility Design and Management 3 hrs

Additional Information:

Students MUST be able to attend day classes in order to complete this area of concentration.

The two practicum courses require the student to work full-time at a practicum site for ten weeks.

RLS 2000 meets a U. S. minority cultural diversity requirement.

When starting the area of concentration, students should talk to Dr. Donald Greer at 402-554-2670.

A total of 36 hours is needed to complete the recreation/Leisure Studies Area of Concentration.

National Certification in Nonprofit Management and Leadership is available. Requirements may be met through coursework in your core requirement. Please see an advisor for details.

Career Information:
An area of concentration in recreation/leisure studies prepares students for managerial or generalist careers in public, nonprofit, or commercial recreation/leisure agencies. Students learn leadership and program skills specific to the area of recreation and leisure, along with recreation history and philosophy. It will also provide the necessary knowledge to pursue an advanced degree, if desired. Students with a degree in recreation/leisure studies may find careers in facilities management, government, parks and recreation programs, retail, natural resource management, community centers, youth camps and programs, social services, fitness centers, coaching, education, and sporting goods.

For more career information, check out U.S. Department of Labor - Recreation Workers, College Board - Parks, Recreation & Leisure Studies, or UNO Career Center.

Revised Fall 2013