- Superlative academic service learning and community-based learning experiences for our students that offer reciprocal and substantial benefits for our community partners
- Exciting co-curricular service opportunities that inspire students to become active citizens, change agents, and leaders in their communities
- Democratic ideals, such as transparency, civil and open dialogue, and diversity of thought, in our operations, programming and events
- A collaborative environment that values community, faculty, staff and students as equal partners
- A dynamic building culture that fosters camaraderie and communication
- Respectful reciprocity, which ensures that the motivations and needs of community and university partners are acknowledged and appropriately addressed
- A welcoming atmosphere that values the full breadth and scope of our community’s diverse population
- A commitment to continuous improvement, based on measurement of outcomes, that determines the impact of our efforts on our students, campus, and community
The Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center will contribute positively and measurably to the community’s quality of life by creating, supporting, and expanding mutually beneficial partnerships, engaged scholarship, and academic and student programming that create tomorrow’s leaders and agents of change.
With the Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center, UNO will provide an expanded, coordinated, and comprehensive student engagement program. The Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center will allow UNO to develop new opportunities as well as enhance, expand and coordinate student volunteerism, service projects, academic service learning, and leadership development specific to community engagement and civic participation.
The dynamic programs, initiatives and partnerships fostered and supported by the Weitz Center will inspire generations of leaders, groundbreaking solutions, and synergetic collaborations that will transform our community and campus into world-class metropolitan partners.