For Your Safety During December Commencement 2013
The University of Nebraska Omaha has taken every possible measure to ensure the safety of our graduates, their families, and friends during December 2013 Commencement exercises.
All guests and graduating students will be subject to a Security Bag Check upon arrival at HPER and Sapp Fieldhouse. Attendees are encouraged to leave bags, purses, backpacks, boxes, and strollers securely in the vehicle. An Express Lane will be available for guest without bags, purses, backpacks, boxes, and strollers to check.
• Students should not bring coats or bags with them to the commencement ceremonies.
• Once you are seated, locate the nearest exit to your seat.
• Listen carefully and follow instructions, which may be issued by the Master of Ceremonies, Omaha Police Officer, or UNO Security Officer.
• Parents should keep their children with them at all times.
• Pay particular attention to the safety of any elderly person or persons with disabilities.
• If directed to evacuate Sapp Fieldhouse, please move away and remain until you have been given an 'all-clear' by a public authority.
• If necessary, seek assistance from a robed Commencement Marshal, uniformed police officer, or designated security guard.
In Case of a Medical Emergency:
DIAL 402.554.2911. Give Campus Security your exact location, i.e., building, room number, parking lot, etc. and telephone number where you can be reached. Briefly describe the medical condition of victim and if possible obtain the victim's name. Return to the injured party. (Do not move a seriously injured person unless it is a lifesaving situation).
If possible have someone meet Campus Security or emergency medical personnel at lot or building entrance.
Safety Tips While on Campus
Most crimes are ones of opportunity. Do not leave your valuables in plain sight or leave your vehicle running unattended. Purses, backpacks, and other valuables should be secured out of sight and locks engaged to ensure optimal protection of your personal belongings. Remember thieves look for easy targets.
• Remove property from plain sight
• Roll up windows
• Remove keys
• Lock all doors
• Report suspicious and unusual activity to Campus Security.
• When in doubt, DIAL 402.554.2911