Secondary education certification for individuals with an undergraduate degree.
The Teacher Academy Project (TAP) is a secondary education certificate project designed for individuals who have earned an undergraduate degree and want to be a teacher. The project aims to increase the number of teacher candidates with certification in high demand areas. Candidates for TAP must hold an undergraduate degree in a major related to a secondary education (7-12) endorsement area.
Participants will be enrolled as full-time students and the graduate level work completed through this project may be applied toward completion of a master's degree in secondary education. This accelerated program is offered once a year and allows for completion of the certification requirements in one calendar year.
TAP candidates complete a combination of undergraduate and graduate coursework in a participating Metropolitan Omaha Educational Consortium (MOEC) district.
- Provide a quality alternative certification option that leads to secondary teacher certification.
- Provide TAP candidates with professional development opportunities while completing certification requirements under the mentorship of the TAP support team.
- Provide support for individual TAP candidates with mentoring by a master teacher, building level administrator and UNO faculty.
Benefits of TAP
- A practical education experience in a MOEC school working with students, faculty, and administrators in an internship role.
- Immersion in the culture of a secondary school with an opportunity to observe the modeling of effective teaching techniques and strategies followed by opportunities for immediate application.
- Priority consideration for employment upon successful completion of the program.
- Academic course work is completed in an area of secondary endorsement.
- Graduate studies focus on the coursework required for teacher certification. Fifteen to eighteen hours of study can be applied to a master's degree in secondary education.
- Each intern is assigned a trained support team to provide professional and educational leadership in the school environment.
- The TAP support team includes a project coordinator, an individual building leadership member, a master teacher and a member from the UNO faculty.
TAP is coordinated through the Metropolitan Omaha Educational Consortium (MOEC). Members include the following school districts:
For additional information: