What are the 15 hours required for renewal?
Graduate course work completed for the 15 hours renewal must be in the following areas:
- Instructional Techniques (three credit hours) This course deals with improvement of instruction either in general terms such as an instructional strategies course or an improvement of instruction course in the content area. Individuals who have never held a Nebraska teaching certificate and have not completed a three-semester credit hour course in special education should take SPED 8030-Teaching Students with Exceptionalities to meet this requirement.
- Content Area Courses (six credit hours) The first of these two courses should be in one of the student's areas of endorsement. For elementary teachers this includes content areas taught in the elementary school. For secondary teachers this includes courses specific to the area(s) of endorsement. The second of these two courses is TED 8210 - Human Relations or SPED 8556; Special Needs Students from Diverse Communities. Everyone applying for a Nebraska certificate must meet the requirement for human relations training. The student who already meets this requirement will select a second content area course.
- Current Issues (three credit hours) - This requirement is met by completing TED 8060-Current Issues and Trends or TED 8190 - Contemporary Issues in Urban Education.
- Practicum (three credit hours) - This experience requires the completion of 100 clock-hours in a K-12 school setting in the area and at the level of previous certification. This requirement is met by registering for TED 8980 Practicum.
What are the practicum guidelines?
- The practicum can be completed by working in an assigned classroom or by substitute teaching. Students should visit with the certification official about these options. In either case, no experience will be accepted prior to applying and registering for the practicum.
- The practicum must be completed in a K-12 school setting in the area and at the level of the previous certificate.
How do I get admitted to UNO?
Students entering the 15-hour renewal program must apply as a graduate student. The deadlines for graduate applications are July 1 for Fall; December 1 for Spring; and April 1 for Summer. Students who miss the deadline will follow the procedure for non-degree graduate students. Students admitting for renewal only should admit as an unclassified graduate student.
How do I register for classes at UNO?
After the admissions process is complete, students will receive a registration email with specific information about using MavLINK to register for classes.
What is the Basic Skills Test? Do I have to take it?
The Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) requires all first time Nebraska applicants to submit passing scores on the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) at the time of application for the certificate. Applicants, who have once held a regular Nebraska certificate, are not required to provide test scores. Individuals with a teaching certificate in another state should contact the Nebraska Department of Education regarding the testing requirement for individual situations.
Is there a time limit for completing the course work?
The instructional techniques course and the current issues course should be completed prior to requesting a practicum placement. It is recommended that the practicum be completed at the end of 12 hours.
Is there a specific order for completing the coursework?
The course work must be completed and the application for the certificate submitted within five years of the date of the first course.
Can any of the course work be taken at another insitution?
Up to six hours of graduate credit from another accredited teacher training institution may apply to the fifteen-hour renewal at UNO. You must receive approval before registering for course work to insure that it will be acceptable.
When I have completed my requirements, how do I apply for my Nebraska certificate?
Renewal application process:
- Complete the online application.
- Pay your fee as directed on the application.
- Submit Official Transcripts: order transcripts through your UNO account as directed on the application.
- Apply for Institutional Verification: the College will complete the Institutional Verification and send it to the Nebraska Department of Education (NDE). Contact Nicole Kelleher, Certification Assistant, with your name, NUID, and the purpose of your application to NDE.
Who will be my advisor?
The Certification Official at UNO is Dr. Becky Schnabel. Information regarding the 15-hour renewal and course selections should be directed to Nicole Kelleher, Certification Assistant, at 402.554.2718.
How do I get started?
- Download the directions and forms for the 15-Hour Renewal (see below).
- Contact Nicole Kelleher, Certification Assistant, at 402.554.2718 for an appointment to submit your 15-Hour Renewal application and discuss your plan of study. Individuals should bring the following completed forms to the appointment:
The College of Education will serve as the recommending institution for individuals who complete certificate renewal requirements through the course work at UNO.