Ph.D. in Exercise Science
Degree: Doctorate in Exercise Science
Major: Exercise Science with a Concentration in either Physiology of Exercise, Biomechanics, Motor Development and Control, or Physical Activity
Career options include:
- Scientist for federal agencies such as NASA or National Institutes of Health
- Scientist for industries such as sport equipment manufacturing, nutrition, ergonomics, or research equipment
- Laboratory director for hospitals or universities
Concentrations:Physiology of Exercise
Research focuses on cutting edge topics in sport, aging, special populations, and tactical personnel such as law enforcement, fire and military. Laboratory facilities allow for the assessment of gene expression, mitochondrial function, energy expenditure, muscle blood flow (Doppler ultrasound), and environmental effects of altitude and temperature (environmental chamber).Biomechanics
This track provides advanced knowledge in acquisition and analysis of human movement using equipment such as motion capture, force platforms, virtual reality, and electromyography. Such tools will be used to investigate movement patterns in healthy, aging, and pathological populations, including those with an amputated limb, peripheral arterial disease, and who have experienced a stroke. Students are educated on the analysis of human movement using nonlinear dynamics. Courses will be taken in mathematics, engineering, computer science, statistics and psychology.
Some career options include:
- Forensic Specialist: Impact/speed evaluation
- Industry Research: Implant evaluation (finite element analysis), Sports equipment design and evaluation
- Academics, Teaching
- Clinical Research: Hospital gait analyst
- Sales representative: Biomechanics product salesperson; product research and development
This track provides advanced knowledge on the study of motor control, development, and learning. Students are educated on the theories, principles and underlying mechanisms that characterize motor control, learning and development. In addition, different types of healthy and pathological movement patterns will be examined including balance, posture, and locomotion with special emphasis on their control, development and learning. The usage of advanced technologies such as Virtual Reality, Robotics and Brain Imaging techniques will also be covered. Courses will be taken in mathematics, engineering, computer science, statistics, psychology and neuroscience.Physical Activity
This track provides advanced knowledge related to physical activity behavior including application of behavior change theory to promote physical activity behavior (adoption and maintenance), designing interventions for physical activity, utilizing methodology for measurement of physical activity behavior in a variety of populations and settings.
Ph.D. applicants please note:
- Download specific information regarding the program and application process.
- Applications are processed through UNO's Office of Graduate Studies
- Apply today
International students please note:
- The TOEFL may be required for students without a degree from a U.S. institution.
- View more information about International Studies and Programs and programs at UNO.