Challenge yourself so you can assist others
The mission of the UNO Counseling Department is to provide high quality training and curricular experiences to masters-level candidates, leading to eligibility for professional counselor certification and licensure. We educate academically-grounded and clinically-skilled counselors who are competent to work with diverse clients and in a variety of settings, with special emphasis on issues that emerge in a metropolitan environment. Through implementation of a rigorous CACREP accredited program, candidates will acquire knowledge and skills to practice effectively and ethically, develop as critical and innovative thinkers, and become leaders in the counseling profession and in their particular specialization.
- Students will be prepared to work as school counselors and will demonstrate the professional knowledge, skills, and practices necessary to promote the academic, career, and personal/social development of all K-12 students
- Students in the clinical mental health concentration will be prepared to work with the mental health needs of individuals and families based on the strength-based, preventative, and wellness tenets of the counseling profession
- Students will demonstrate ethical and cultural competencies consistent with the documented expectations of a professional counselor
- Students will demonstrate competence in evaluating and applying evidence-based research in their work with students and/or clients
- Students will demonstrate mastery of comprehensive counseling curriculum