Provide current and aspiring school superintendents with the skills and knowledge that will help them successfully lead and manage school districts.
- Target Audience - current superintendents, sitting superintendents, associate and assistant superintendents and principals with at least three years of experience; all participants must hold or be eligible for a superintendent’s license.
- Delivery of Curriculum The curriculum will be delivered in ways that actively engage participants in debate and dialogue with experts and each other on major issues in education. Participants may be given reading and other assignments before class that will not be covered in the session, but which they will be expected to use in class exercises. Major themes include: individual development of leadership skills and goals; educational reform initiatives; innovation and change management; and capacity building.
- Faculty—mix of university faculty and practitioners who have local/regional/national experience. In addition, each participant will be assigned a local business CEO as a mentor.
- Interdisciplinary and Collaborative across UNO and the University of Nebraska system.
- Length—Nine months starting in September and ending in June with no session in December. All sessionss will be on Fridays. Participants are asked to commit the equivalent of one day/8 hours per month to classroom sessions and to spending the time necessary to do pre-class reading and preparation.
- Cohort-based—with cohorts of up to 15, with the intent of creating a network that will serve participants throughout their careers.
- Competitive Selection of Participants—Participants will be recommended by their superintendent or Board chair.
- Evaluation of Courses and Program: Participants will complete an evaluation of the course and instructors at the end of each course.
2015 – 2016 Course Schedule for Midlands Superintendents Academy
September 25, 2015
October 30, 2015
November 20, 2015
January 29, 2016
February 26, 2016
March 25, 2016
April 29, 2016
May 20, 2016
June 10, 2016