SKIP navigation
Academic Advising

Q: How do I find my advisor?

A: First, it is important to know what your major is and in which college your major is listed. Click here for a list of academic advisors sorted by college.

Q: How do I change my major or minor?

A: To change your major/minor, you need to see the department in which you wish to major/minor. To complete the process, you may need to make an appointment with an academic advisor. Once you have met the admission requirements/prerequisites for the major/minor you are interested in, your advisor will assist you in filling out a “change of academic program” form, which is to be turned into the Registrar’s Office, EAB 105.

Q: When can I enroll in classes?

A: Find your enrollment date each semester by logging on to mavlink and clicking on “Student Center”. Once in your student center, on the right hand side you see a box labeled “enrollment dates.” Here you will see the exact date you are able to enroll for the upcoming semester. By clicking on the “details” link you will be able to see the exact time you begin enrolling. Enrollment information is usually posted on March and October with April and November being when enrollment in classes takes place.

Q: What is an enrollment hold?

A: An enrollment hold is a block on your mavlink account that will not allow you to enroll in/drop/add classes. To see if you have any enrollment holds each semester log on to mavlink and click on “Student Center”. Once in your student center, on the right hand side you will be a xo labeled “holds”. It is located above the enrollment dates box. By clicking on the “details” link you will be able to see information about each hold. There are a number a reasons one might have an enrollment hold:
  • Academic Advising
  • Student Cashiering
  • Parking
  • Library

Q: What is the “credit/no credit” option?


Q: How do I calculate my GPA?

A: Detailed instructions on calculating your GPA can be found at

Q: Are there services for Multicultural Students?


Q: What happens if I am on academic probation or am academically suspended?

A: Being placed on Academic Probation is similar to receiving a warning to improve your academic performance. You are placed on probation when your cumulative NU GPA drops below a 2.0. The answer to "what can I do?" may be different for different people. If you are on probation, your academic advisor can offer helpful suggestions. For more information on Academic Probation please see

Students who are placed on Academic Suspension when their semester GPA is lower than 2.0 and the cumulative GPA falls below the following standards:

Attempted Hours Cumulative GPA
0-12 No Suspension
13-45 1.75
46 or more 2.0

Suspended students are given the right to appeal their suspension. Appeal processes differ by college and therefore it is important to contact your academic advisor as soon as you know you are suspended. For more information on Academic Suspension please see