Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes
Nebraska Residency Requirements
Important information for Residency Applicants:
- Enrollment at any community college, college or university in the State of Nebraska during the 12 months prior to the term for which residency is sought can adversely affect your eligibility. Transcripts from each institution will need to be provided before a final residency decision can be made.
- Qualifying for residency for tuition purposes at the University of Nebraska differs from what is normally required to be considered a 'resident' of the State of Nebraska. A person may be considered 'resident' of Nebraska for most intents and purposes and still be Non-Resident for Tuition purposes.
- The Admissions office makes an initial residency determination based on information provided by the student on the application and other relevant information. Any student who has lived in the state of Nebraska for 18 months or less, or provides any information that indicates that he / she is possibly not a Nebraska resident for tuition purposes, will be admitted as a non-resident and will need to apply to change his / her status.
- It is the student's responsibility to contest the initial residency decision and meet all appropriate deadlines if they feel the initial determination was wrong. The burden of proof lies solely with the student.
- Mere physical presence in the State of Nebraska, regardless of length of stay, is NOT adequate to prove residency for tuition purposes. Likewise, owning property in the state will NOT result in automatic residency approval.
UNO Undergraduate Student questions should be sent to:
UNO Graduate Student questions should be sent to: