SKIP navigation
UNO Accounting Services
Accounting Services

Moving Policy & Relocation Assistance

Moving Policy

The University will only reimburse faculty/staff for moving expenses if approved by the appropriate administrative officer. Reimbursement may be for actual reimbursable expenses or for a limited pre-approved dollar amount. All reimbursements must be documented with original receipts.

The distance between the employee's old residence and the new job site must increase at least 50 miles over the distance between the old residence and old job site.

Reimbursable expenses include:

- The cost of transportation of the employee and members of his/her household from old to new residence.

- The cost of transporting household goods and personal effects. However, the University will not pay or reimburse expenses for the shipment of an automobile, boat, mobile home, camper and/or trailer.

- The cost of meals and lodging en route. The University recommends that departments use the federal maximum per diem standards as published by the government as a reasonable guideline. These rates can be found on the web at GSA-Domestic Per Diems.

- Temporary living expense for up to 30 days at a new location.

- Pre-move house hunting trips involving expenses of traveling (including transportation, meals and lodging) from the former residence to the new place of employment for the principal purpose of searching for a new residence. Expenses may be reimbursed for the employee and spouse for a maximum of two pre-move house-hunting trips.

- Temporary storage and insuring household goods and personal effects for up to 20 days at the new location.

Non-reimbursable expenses include:

-Any part of the purchase price of your new home.
-Car tags.
-Driver's license.
-Expenses of buying or selling a home (including closing costs, mortgage fees, and points).
-Expenses of getting or breaking a lease.
-Home improvements to help sell your home.
-Loss on the sale of your home.
-Losses from disposing of memberships in clubs.
-Mortgage penalties.
-Real estate taxes.
- Refitting of carpet and draperies.
-Return trips to your former residence.
-Security deposits (including any given up due to the move).
-Airline costs for moving pets.

Reimbursement for the cost of relocating personal vehicles from one's former home to their new residence is limited to one trip, one way for one vehicle only. The only reimbursable portion is by the most direct route available. If during your trip to your new home, you stop over, or make side trips for sightseeing, the additional expenses for your stopover or side trips are not reimbursable.

Faculy/staff may claim relocation mileage at the rate stated by the Internal Revenue Service.

The University can directly pay moving companies for authorized moving costs after the completion of the shipment of employee's household goods. The University participates in a contractual agreement with a relocation service provider shown below. Contact them directly to obtain assistance with any relocation issue or question.

If moving expenses are to be reimbursed to the employee, the employee should submit a Travel Worksheet with original detailed receipts to Accounting Services. Examples of expenses are: air, bus, or rail tickets; mileage for one automobile, rental of trucks, trailers and moving carts; packing crates; parking and toll fees.

All payments for moving made to an employee or paid direct to the vendor on the employee's behalf will be reported to Payroll for inclusion on the employee's W-2. The IRS requires the University to withhold income tax and FICA taxes on reimbursements of meals for the employee and family, pre-move house hunting trips, and temporary living expenses. Payroll makes adjustments against the employee's wages in the next payroll cycle for the taxable portions of any reimbursement. Due to tax requirements, reimbursements will not be processed until the employee is on the University payroll.

Any questions concerning moving expenses should be directed to Teresa Carlson at 402.554.4937.

Relocation Assistance

In order to make your transition to the Omaha area as easy as possible, UNO has a referral relationship with service providers to provide relocation assistance & services to new UNO faculty/staff.  These providers assist with relocation, including obtaining of competitive rates for various services.  However, please remember that UNO will only reimburse faculty/staff for moving expenses if pre-approved by the appropriate administrative officer.  Reimbursement may be for actual reimbursable expenses or for a limited pre-approved dollar amount, whichever is less.  All reimbursements must be documented with original receipts.  Faculty and staff are not required to use these service providers. A relocating faculty or staff may utilize the services of the providers below even if relocation expenses are not reimbursable. 

Please contact Teresa Carlson ( for assistance in facilitating the use of our service providers.

Click here for printable version.