The Office of Academic and Student Affairs reaffirms that the creation, interpretation, dissemination and application of knowledge are the fundamental responsibilities of all premier educational institutions. As the metropolitan university of the University of Nebraska, the University of Nebraska at Omaha represents a major intellectual resource for education, research/creative activity, and outreach. The Academic and Student Affairs Strategic Plan embraces the mission, vision, and values of the UNO Strategic Plan.
The University of Nebraska at Omaha is Nebraska's metropolitan university—a university with the academic and scholarly values common to all universities and with an interactive relationship with urban and regional environments.
It is the vision of UNO to be a metropolitan university of high distinction considered among the nation's premier state-supported institutions located in an urban setting.
The University of Nebraska at Omaha community is a diverse group of individuals working together to accomplish a common vision and mission.
UNO will be recognized as a student-centered metropolitan university.
As we strive to achieve our vision, students are always UNO's key constituency. UNO commits to build and serve a diverse student body reflecting a dynamic metropolitan environment.
Sub-Goal A: UNO faculty and staff develop and maintain academic programs and support services designed for the varying and evolving academic, career, and personal goals of traditional and nontraditional students.
- Objective 1: Facilitate and support student learning and personal development.
- Objective 2: Assess student needs, concerns, and goals in order to develop and strengthen outstanding academic and support services.
- Objective 3: Develop, revise, and support targeted programs and services to meet the unique needs of various student populations (residential, part-time, and non-traditional).
- Objective 4: Document students' acceptance of their rights and responsibilities as members of the academic community.
- Objective 5: Promote holistic development and a healthy lifestyle.
- Objective 6: Demonstrate and assess the use of instructional technologies and active learning strategies.
Sub-Goal B: UNO students are prepared for the responsibilities of citizenship, leadership and participation in our democratic processes and for employment in diverse environments throughout our nation and the world.
- Objective 1: Design and assess programs and services aimed at critical thinking, problem solving, and research skills as students address contemporary issues facing the community.
- Objective 2: Encourage, model, and strengthen citizenship and ethical behavior.
- Objective 3: Foster the personal and professional advancement of students through leadership development programs and services.
- Objective 4: Design and assess programs that encourage exploration of diverse cultures and the artifacts which encourage the development of the intelligent appreciation of the arts, letters, and the human condition.
Sub-Goal C: Foster an environment that will actively attract and develop students, faculty, and staff of diverse talents and backgrounds.
- Objective 1: Recruit and support underrepresented students from Omaha and the metropolitan region.
- Objective 2: Design, maintain, promote and assess programs and services designed to recruit and develop students, faculty, and staff of diverse talents and backgrounds.
- Objective 3: Demonstrate and assess a welcoming environment based on a community of learners and an appreciation of differences.
Sub-Goal D: UNO will be the higher education institution of first choice for students desiring a metropolitan university experience.
- Objective 1: Design, maintain, promote, and assess exemplary programs, services and facilities that lead to the recruitment and retention of students.
- Objective 2: Design, maintain, promote, and assess exemplary programs, services and facilities that lead to the recruitment and retention of faculty and staff.
- Objective 3: Create funding structures to support additional residence halls, scholarships, non-resident tuition waivers, assistantships and fellowships to attract high quality undergraduates and graduates.
UNO will be recognized for its academic excellence as a metropolitan university.
UNO strives for academic excellence by focusing on teaching, learning and scholarship consistent with its metropolitan mission. Excellence is demonstrated in programs and areas of distinction, high quality undergraduate programs and strong graduate research/professional programs.
Sub-Goal A: UNO's teaching focuses on student learning and is designed to meet the multiple needs and highest aspirations of students drawn to a metropolitan campus.
- Objective 1: Increase faculty commitment to outstanding instruction and enhanced student learning with particular emphasis on undergraduates.
- Objective 2: Conduct periodic review of all programs and services emphasizing learning outcomes.
- Objective 3: Increase faculty and staff use and understanding of technology in all aspects of the academic experience.
- Objective 4: Enhance faculty and staff development opportunities and support for improvement of student learning.
Sub-Goal B: UNO will develop, nurture, and recognize academic programs of excellence.
- Objective 1: Develop criteria and processes to define existing and future areas of excellence.
- Objective 2: Promote and support appropriate professional accreditation processes and similar programs of quality review.
- Objective 3: Create and assess selected undergraduate programs consistent with the philosophy of a premiere metropolitan university.
Sub-Goal C: UNO will increase its stature as an institution of scholarly excellence.
- Objective 1: Design and assess opportunities for all students to participate in research and creative activity with our faculty and staff.
- Objective 2: Create and maintain faculty, staff, and students' ability to compete for external funding opportunities.
Sub-Goal D: UNO will foster an environment that will actively attract and develop students, faculty, and staff of diverse talents and backgrounds.
- Objective 1: Create curriculum and discourse that addresses community, regional, and world issues from many points of view.
- Objective 2: Demonstrate and assess a welcoming environment for individuals from diverse backgrounds.
UNO will be recognized for its outstanding engagement with the urban, regional, national, and global communities